Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Holy crap guys, I stumbled upon a small farm innovation this week. I kept my cows in a paddock at the back of my farm. Our winter this year was pretty open. It didn't freeze up except for about three weeks all winter. The cows punched that paddock into a quagmire. I moved them off in very early spring. The field got frozen hard again for a couple of weeks. It took several days of sun and wind to dry the whole mess out. Once it was dry, I tried to smooth it with the disc. WOW... It worked up like some of the best fall plowed ground that I have ever worked. I guess this method could be called "Cow Plowing"!
The corn got planted the same day after discing and dragging twice. More details can be read about on my blog. www.Ricelandmeadows.com

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-05-21 21:01:39 (CST)

Well, Ralph, that's what I would say a smart farmer does, let nature, in this case pastured animals , do the work for him. Hogs will do the same trick in many ways. Even hens will do, if one keeps them in so-called chicken tractors long enough and moves these over the later to be used area.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Wanderosa says 2017-05-21 21:42:38 (CST)

I love it when the animals do the work for us! We had a brutally cold winter here two years ago. I had to feed many more round bales than usual. Of course, so did everyone else! So we were getting into some pretty lackluster quality hay towards the tail end. I let the cows waste a lot picking through for the good bits figuring on the plus side they were getting some pad hay between them and the frozen tundra that was the winter paddock.

Spring went AWOL that year and we basically snapped into summer temperatures. The paddock was now a muddy mess strewn with literally tons of wet and dirty hay that was too heavy to move without heavy machinery. I'd lucked into seven huge gilts at firesale pricing around the holidays. They'd felt like a liability feeding them through the cold. But they came to the rescue that spring. Seeking the cool, moist ground under the hay, they managed to chop the hay up better than most silage and till it into the ground. Saved me a lot of money and headache while they were just doing what hogs love doing!

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-05-22 20:23:36 (CST)

You guys get exactly what I'm talking about. That ugly field, turned out to be a beauty, thanks to the cows. What a time saver for me!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.