Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

The weather has been pretty crazy here. Even for Wyoming. Had an early warm spell in March, which thankfully got rid of some of our snow pack down low at the 8500' level. Still an awful lot of snow up in the high country, but that bodes well for a good irrigating season.
The cows are in pretty good shape. Which they had ought to be considering the amount of hay they ate most of the winter and the amount of supplement I put into them this year.
My hopes are that the newer mineral program I used will get my calving season tightened up a smidge. I'm pretty sure it's helped with keeping calves healthier this spring. Noticeably better shot of colostrum sticking to the calves hind end seems like.
Started calving around the 20th of March on the cows, only 7 left. Had fairly good luck considering the snow and cold. Only noticed a few cropped ears and one tail while branding the early calves the other day. Two of them were on a cold snap earlier this month.
Grass ought to be coming on if it quits snowing and warms up. Way, way behind as usual with spring work. Lots of meadows to drag, ditches to clean, and manure to spread.
That's about it from here on my little ranch.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-04-27 20:34:56 (CST)

Thanks, Wes, for letting us know what's going on in your neck of the woods. I got through with planting most of my spring vegetables, so far 15 different ones, after we got all the spring preparation of plowing disking and harrowing done. After a rather mild and dry winter we finally got the moisture we need, in fact we are getting rain now every week. Do you have your cows calving close to the ranch headquarters or are they scattered all over the pastures and you have to ride out to find them ?

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2017-04-27 21:33:47 (CST)

weather here is crazy to 65-70 one day 32 the next, it froze ice the last 3 nights. grass is 3' tall cows quit eating hay only feed hay from 2-15 17 until 4-20-17 cows ranged most all winter. we are short om moisture2-1/4 inches since march 25. I'm just 1/2 done calving only lost 2 calves so far not bad. hope your year goes good for you and your family.

NoraWI says 2017-04-28 07:46:13 (CST)

After full spring weather and 60 degrees for the last 3 to 4 weeks, woke up yesterday to a raging snow storm outside. Fortunately, the ground has warmed up and the temp was in the low 40s. The hills remained white for a mere 2 hours before the snow melted. We have been having very frequent rains also. Springs have sprung where they never were before. One in the middle of a pasture is over 8 feet deep and 3 feet around. Will have to fence it off so cattle don't fall in or break a leg. Strange.

Todd NE WY says 2017-04-28 11:01:47 (CST)

We are about the same as Wes up and down weather. We have had some really great temps then return of snow. We were behind on annual moisture until Tuesday this week and we got rain followed by wet snow which put us over an inch ahead. Then we woke up to a good 8" this morning after all day rain yesterday.

Wes Lupher says 2017-04-28 11:54:46 (CST)

I ride out and look them up 2 or 3 times a day Klaus. They calve out on a few hundred acres around this riverbottom by my house. I think when we figured the miles up, it's around 7 miles per trip by the time I get all the brush lines covered. It's good cover and having them scattered out is a good idea as far as disease prevention.
Sounds like you are in good shape for the coming season.

I'm about done here KC. Down to the last 8 or 9. They've calved out in just over 45 days for the brunt of them. When I preg tested them I knew there were around ten that would straggle.
Pretty fair luck so far but as you know it's a long time before they get across the scales.
Good luck to you too.

This storm has pretty much blown around my place. Roads are closed all over Wyoming. Was hoping to brand some more tomorrow, but may not be dry enough as it's still spitting snow.
Looking north of me at pictures from a rancher friend in Johnson County they're measuring snow drifts in feet. I better not complain!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-04-28 20:15:41 (CST)

So you ride a minimum of 14 to 21 miles a day, Wes. In every kind of weather, I can imagine. We are really spoiled down here, because when the weather is unkind there is no work done on the farm except the daily chores.
Yes,we are in pretty good shape this year so far and I hope it will stay this way. The only problem I already know we'll have will be the abundance of bugs because of the mild winter. I have already picked adult potato beetles off our first batch of young potato plants way ahead of schedule.

K.C. Fox says 2017-04-30 13:25:33 (CST)

It snowed here Friday and it is trying to snow today. Feels like it could relay snow it it is about 40 degrees feel like 30 with the wind. just came in from feeding the cows they are eating hay the last 3 days

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.