Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

6 years ago

rh comment count

I have six miniature Herefords--bull, three cows and two 1/2 grown calves. Thinking of pasturing them with my neighbor. She's got lotsa grass--way too much for her five horses. I did her a favor this spring and sprayed her pasture for broadleaf weeds. I also fertilized her hay field. She pays for the chemical and fertilizer. I fairly often help her, and we're good friends and neighbors. What'd be a fair price to pay for placing my six miniatures on her pasture? kelly

vince mautino says 2017-04-25 14:34:18 (CST)

I would figure out what it cost you to feed them each month , cut that by 1/3 and then may be substract $15/ hour for the total hours you provided the labor for spraying and such .Spread those total labor dollar amounts over the time you will be pasturing your stock. If she is areal good friend, I'd err on her side remembering they would probably be get ting more and better feed than what you would provide as hay.

Unsolicited advice: I' d sure be careful about running those minis with horses. Lot of folks around here won't run horses and cows together. Horses tend to run the cows. Geldings in particular might be more territorial about their pasture. Don't throw them all out there together and hope for the best

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

G.D.Rose says 2017-04-26 07:18:13 (CST)

I agree with Vince about horses chasing cattle but it also depends on the horses. I have alway ran horses with cattle, even with calves a couple of weeks old. In the very beginning the horses will chase them if never been with cattle than the newness will wear off and things should be good. Hope thing go well for you.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.