Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

The snow is about all gone just the biggest drifts are still here. we dug a ditch for electric line for my granddaughter's trailer house the day before it snowed. It is about 200' long and it is still full of snow. Just feeding cows and the horses, mules nothing exciting. I made some more double trees got one more set to make. Then some more neck yokes as I'm fastening them on the poles so they wont come off. That seems to happen when things go wrong. had a minor runaway with the caking cart 2 weeks ago. Minor because nothing got hurt, It just gets your attention when it happens. This team likes to run anyway, I just use them until they want to walk. I like to use them for caking because it don't take as long to get somewhere. When I go to town for salt they trot 4 miles to town, we load 1 ton of salt and they trot all but the last 1/2 mile back home I just don't haul enough salt. If the old saying March comes in like a lamb goes out like a lion is true we have another storm coming. So I guess we will be ready for it.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-03-04 10:04:30 (CST)

Well, K.C. , nobody could say that you don't take things in stride, another "minor runaway" !! When a neckyoke comes off the pole, but the team is still attached to the vehicle, that can be disastrous, on the other hand, when the traces are detached and one can't get the team off the pole quickly enough , that can also be calamitous. That's why I hitch and unhitch at a hitch-rail or in the barn aisle and that's why I use safety tongue caps.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2017-03-05 22:12:57 (CST)

I always try to hitch at a corral fence with the team tied by there halter ropes. Sometimes they stand there hitched up all day, that way they are used to standing there. I think it gives me A little more time when I open the corral gate then I untie there halter ropes and go back get on and pickup the lines. I haven't had them run off from the fence yet, even a 1/2 broke team that I have only drove 1-3 times with another broke team. I have 4 spots where different things set and a place to tie a team up. Most of the time I'm by myself without help Bev knows what I'm doing but she is In the house.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-03-15 20:00:50 (CST)

I really enjoy your posts K.C.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.