Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Yesterday late afternoon we went from a calm gray day to severe weather. We're fine but due west of us the town of Ottawa got hit hard and Naplatte, Illinois, a community of 550 people, had 50 homes damaged or destroyed. There was one fatality and multiple injuries on top of property damage and they are going to be assessing damage today.

In some ways we're used to these things but when I saw the advisory shift from watch to warning, I went outside to make sure everything in the barn was secure. I could hear in the distance the sound of tornado sirens getting closer. I give NWS credit for this advance warning system. It saves lives.

When our local sirens went off, we went down in the cellar and it's a bit ominous when weather radio warns of a "large and extremely dangerous tornado" that will cause "widespread destruction of property" and "loss of life" adding emphatically that "mobile homes will be destroyed." The cell went north of us and lost rotation by the time it reached our latitude, but our thoughts are with those communities that were hit.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-03-01 17:59:28 (CST)

All that scares me. Not so much for ourselves, since we have a good underground storm cellar, but for our animals. That's why we installed a tornado shelter for our horses, a heavy shipping container two feet in e ground inside the barn. Now I have to get the horses used to walk in there without hesitation. One of the Percherons has been inside several times already, the other one just takes a peek so far.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-03-01 20:50:00 (CST)

Just when you think you have problems, you realize that things are pretty good. God's blessings to those affected by the bad storms.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.