Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 7 years ago

7 years ago

rh comment count

when I awoke this morning we had 5-6 of new snow on the ground. all we had of the last snow was the ICE now it is real bad with fresh snow on top of that ice. some people have slipped and fell on it around here, you all be careful and don't get hurt on the ice.

BrianL says 2017-02-09 07:57:34 (CST)

KC, we empathize. I don't mind the snow. I don't mind the rain. But when you get lots of the latter, then it freezes, it becomes a dangerous mess. Extra hard on the animals too. They get wet from the rain but don't have time to dry off before it gets cold. I've started shoveling my paddock area. It's crushed stone but by removing the snow, once the sun comes out it dries out pretty good so the equines have at least some solid ground on which to stand. A bit of work, but worth the effort.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Todd NE WY says 2017-02-09 09:40:31 (CST)

We are in the same boat. We have snow and ice that has been here since Christmas. Now we get a few days of warm weather and melting then we get new snow that covers the ice. I have had the parking lot at the office plowed more than the past 2 years combined.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-02-09 15:29:08 (CST)

We got lucky. The snow pack and ice got washed away this time by a warm rain. Fresh snow on ice is awful for man and beast!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-02-10 18:19:34 (CST)

So far in the Kansas City region we had 4.5'' of snow, normal would have been 10 more. And these days it's very mild, I have just come in from watering corn mache and spinach in one of the hoop houses and putting up some outside frames for kale and spinach which overwintered and look like they are ready to jump out of the ground- the kale and the spinach, not the frames!!

K.C. Fox says 2017-02-10 21:57:29 (CST)

It was aground 50- 70 degrees today I don't think it melted all the snow and ice yet. But it is supposed to bee real nice for the next few days. It is still 39 degrees right now hope to get rid of all the snow and ice the horses won't slip so bad. I have to go 1 1/2 mile to feed cows

Josie says 2017-02-12 15:17:25 (CST)

I agree completely, snow covered ice isn't fun. Last winter(we were living in Pagosa Springs,Colorado) we got more than a foot of snow and most of it melted. It was melting beautifully but this spot in particular was in the shadow of the barn(see were this is going). It had been cleared but when we got to busy it snowed. So the inch of snow became an inch of ice. For the rest of the winter my milk cow(that I sadly had to sell before we moved) and I learned how to walk on ice. It was irritating at times( when you are running late) but it kept her humble and paying attention to where her feet were going. It also kept me paying attention.
Josie

Mike Rock says 2017-02-12 18:39:16 (CST)

My friend Chris got some snow as well, in the Netherlands. He took some of his toys out to play. These are OLD toys...... enjoy. Klaus, you might enjoy these.

www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166141

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.