Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

These last few days I used the mild weather to clean up the left over tomato plants and get them out of the patch. Since we have mostly indeterminate plants with long vines it is usually much of a hassle to haul them away to a place where you can burn them( Reminder: Do not burn anything close to your hoop houses ;you'll never know when the wind will shift!!!). But last year Taylor Johnson wrote about his stone boat made out of a truck bed liner. I copied the idea with a rather large liner and voila - it worked really well: Close to the ground one doesn't have to lift these intertwined vines high, one just pushes them onto the boat where it is open in front. I got more than 150 plants on one load and our Haflinger Gandhi pulled it easily. Since this liner is rather wide, I had drilled two holes on the top front corners which I connected after loading with a wire so that they wouldn pull apart.
Mentioning wire, the old Bavarian farmers when they had to mend a harness used to joke self-deprecatingly: Toa ma an Drohd her, a Glump mog i ned.= Give me some wire , I don't like any junk.

K.C. Fox says 2017-02-07 22:07:06 (CST)

I saw that article to and I have been using a pickup bed liner with a team of small horses works great I bolted two 2x6's on the top and bottom of the open end where I hooked a cable to hook the double tree to. It works good.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-02-09 15:27:40 (CST)

I thought Taylor had a great idea. It is a great option, recycles some plastic and is very functional. Glad you could get your work well started Klaus!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-02-10 09:35:00 (CST)

Yes, Ralph, I am already getting little impatient- most of the seeds are ordered and I am chomping at the bit. But it will still take a while!
I like the February picture of your three abreast in the desk calendar. I suppose you hitch up three for the fun of it, not because two wouldn't do, right?

Dan in Illinois says 2017-02-10 13:05:18 (CST)

Are you pulling these with the open end forward?

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-02-10 18:09:19 (CST)

Ye, Dan, because this way it was easiest to attach the two 2x6 for me. But somebody who is less impatient could do it the other way around. I still think one would have to connect the upper corners of the open end for better stability.

K.C. Fox says 2017-02-10 21:49:25 (CST)

Dan I first set mine up open end forward, But it picks up sand or snow that way. I will set it up closed end forward before I pull it again. then I will put a chain across the open end to keep it from spreading out. I put a 2x6 on the bottom and top of the end to pull from I put a cable to hook the double trees to the cable is hooked to the box in 2 places about 3.5' apart then it has a loop in the middle to hook to you could pull it with a 4 wheeler it don't pull very hard.

Dan in Illinois says 2017-02-12 20:42:30 (CST)

I'll try to find one sounds like a good idea to move firewood when it's muddy.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.