Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

I was reading the Rural Heritage "horsepowered haymaking" article and it said Tommy Flowers moved round bales with a mover made by Tractor Supply. Does anyone know if they still manufacture this implement? I have looked on line but cant find anything like the picture in any of the Tractor Supply sites. I am an internet novice though so maybe I am not looking in the right spot. Thanks

Todd NE WY says 2017-01-24 21:26:00 (CST)

What issue is that from? I would like to read it and look at the mover.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Mike Rock says 2017-01-24 22:10:54 (CST)

I'm looking for a Tumble Bug hay hauler if anyone knows of one for sale.

K.C. Fox says 2017-01-25 21:42:11 (CST)

I have a mover that is Perfect (spelling) blue in color loads from the flat end of bale tongue extends out and lift the bale up so clears the ground for moving can back up to the end of the row and drop the bale in line. If your team can back it up. A tractor works ever time.

steve says 2017-01-30 14:31:03 (CST)

Hey Todd- the article is on this web site. Look under "resources". Click on "farming with draft animal power". Under the "farming with horse power" heading click on "horsepowered hay making"

Redgate says 2017-01-30 22:20:26 (CST)

So the big bale movers with the spikes that go into the hay can be pushed in by a team backing? I have wondered. We need a way to do it more efficiently, but I wasn't sure if it was doable. My team backs great. If they can back a spike in, that would solve a lot of issues for us!

Jonathan Shively says 2017-01-31 08:26:26 (CST)

The tumblebugs don't require you to back a spear into the bale. You back to the bale and I have an old style floor dimmer switch that I hit with my foot to send electricity (from a remote mounted battery) that locks the brakes and makes the tumblebug fold. The spear folds over the bale and holds it in place as you pull forward, once the bale is in the cradle hit the dimmer switch again and power is removed from the brakes and wheels roll to where you want to go. I quit using my tumblebug when we hired a hayman that wraps the bales. I live in NW Indiana, it is for sale if you are ever in the area.

Todd NE WY says 2017-01-31 09:43:43 (CST)

Steve,

Just looking at the picture that appears to be a Tumble Bug. The way they worked is the tongue is somewhat articulating. You raise the upper arm with the teeth in it back up to the bale, lock the brakes which causes the tongue to push up just in front of the bed. This in turn tips the bed down and you back into the bale. When you are where you want to be you let the upper arm go and the spike stick in the bale then when you pull forward the whole bed "cams over" if you will and carries the bale to where you want it where you reverse the process to unload it. I too would like to have one but here in WY I haven't found a used one for sale. I think I am going to put a 3 pt bale spear on the back of my hay wagon and use an ATV winch to tip it up and down, then I can just back into the side of the bale, lift it up and go.

Todd

Redgate says 2017-01-31 12:13:41 (CST)

Jonathan, I thought I saw a reference to the horses backing a spear, hence my question. I am very familiar with the Tumblebugs, and we do occasionally go over to Indiana. Send me photos, rough idea of your location (so I can map the area), and price to manager@redgatefarmllc.com

Robert Dennis says 2017-01-31 13:15:13 (CST)

I have tried different methods over the yeas… recently built a new bale wagon to haul bales but with these 1400 and 1500 pound bales, it is ti light in the front and wants to pop up, so am going tom have to redo it..Wes Lumpher inWyoming has about the handiest rig i've ever seen for hauling and feeding bales… Todd be sure that you mount your 3 point spike low enough and close enough to the axle or you will have thee same problem I did.. I have always used a hand operated winch to tip or load the bales as I like the exercise in the winter to help keep me warm… I did have a double spear that was a 3 point and tried to use it trust for transporting bales, but the spikes had to slide under the bale and my team, tho' they could really back up and were strong, couldn't back up enough to get the bale all the way on… I always envisioned a kind of rig that horses could push or pull, but it would take such a long tongue I don't think it would be practical… I thought a tumblebug would be great, why won't they work on net wrapped bales? I'd sure like to have one, especially just for gathering or transporting bales..

Robert Dennis says 2017-01-31 13:16:48 (CST)

Jonathan, what kind of money are you wanting for it?

Mike Rock says 2017-01-31 17:03:32 (CST)

Jonathon,
I am is southern Wisconsin, not far from NW Indiana. Is it a Tumblebug you have for sale? I sure need one, about 300 bales per year.

God bless.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.