Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 7 years ago

7 years ago

rh comment count

The Farm Review on television Sunday morning commented that "many packers are no longer buying any Holsteins." What's that all about?

I presume this is going to hurt a lot of people.

vince mautino says 2017-01-24 11:46:22 (CST)

Can't see that happening, especially in high producing diary states.

When you figure 1/2 the calves born could be bull calves, they have to go some where.

There isn't the high meat production from them such as beef cows,but it is still meat. I suspect would still take them, but maybe at a reduced price.

Probably more of that CNN fake news (grin)

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

steve says 2017-01-24 14:07:54 (CST)

This is hearsay so I am not positive but a friend of mine feeds Holsteins and said they were about 40 cents cheaper than beef cattle at the moment due to some kind of problems at the slaughter house. If things haven't changed in recent years, I was told when I fed cattle there was only one slaughterhouse in the U.S. that could handle Holstein sized carcasses. I could be all wrong. will be interested to hear other replies

NoraWI says 2017-01-25 06:24:50 (CST)

In the early '90s I grazed some Holstein feeders for the summer. Prices took a nose dive in fall and I ended up feeding them out over the winter. At the time of sale, they averaged 1300 pounds and went to a buyer for Green Bay Packing. I don't have an answer for you as to today's market but I believe that the large packers will still be buying Holsteins and other dairy steers as they are quite a bit cheaper than beef, especially the well marketed Angus. And, as I've always said, no one can really tell what it is once it's hanging or cooked. Institutional suppliers have always bought for price and processed accordingly.

K.C. Fox says 2017-01-25 21:34:52 (CST)

When I hauled bulls they ended up at Green bay. I never hauled any to Green bay. anything that weighed 2000 + A few went to Gibbon pack at gibbon NE as there buyers bought them.

JerryHicks says 2017-01-26 04:59:05 (CST)

I spoke with an Amish neighbor of mine yesterday about this. He said he didn't know for sure , but did know that they were way lower than any other type cattle. He had no holsteins on the place and instead was building outbuildings in his calf barn for sale rather than feeding out calves. He said that a holstein calf that would bring 400.00 last year was now bringing about 80.00.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.