Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 7 years ago

7 years ago

rh comment count

I received a pretty awesome gift today and I had to tell someone about it who would appreciate the value of it. My aunt and uncle had purchased my great grandmother's farm some time back. Well, they've started getting older and decided they should sell the farm and move closer to their kids and grand kids. Well, they called me to say that they had an old rake of some sort in the barn and wanted me to come look at it tell them what it was worth. Turns out it was a McCormick one horse dump rake, setting up on boards in under the hay mow of my great grandpa's barn; right where he had left it probably something like 70 + years ago. I looked it all over and it looked like it had just been greased and set there last week, other than a stray vine that had grown up and round one spoke, and the boards it was setting on were starting to show some rot. We talked a while about what it might be worth, and they finally told me to load it that they wanted me to have it. Well, I was tickled to death! Unbolted the tongue and the nuts came off the bolts like they had just been put there. I'm looking forward to raking some hay with it this spring just to say I did. It's just a six foot rake but I'm still anxious to get it out and use it.

NoraWI says 2017-01-18 09:50:34 (CST)

What an absolutely wonderful gift, Jerry! Not only is it in good shape and useful, but it brings along a family history. They couldn't have gifted it to anyone who would appreciate it more than you!

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Billy Foster says 2017-01-18 10:32:14 (CST)

I use the heck out of mine. Good gift for sure.
Billy

Jonathan Shively says 2017-01-18 12:48:49 (CST)

Good on you and don't forget to send them a photo of you using it. Just bought one and plan on using it next year just to clean up the end rows for that odds and ends.

G.D.Rose says 2017-01-18 19:23:40 (CST)

Could you post a picture of it. I don't think I have ever seen one. It is always nice to get a old piece of equipment that has family history.

JerryHicks says 2017-01-19 04:54:11 (CST)

I am pretty pleased to get this rake. I've got a book here that shows the color scheme and I figure maybe another stretch of warm weather, it might be a good project to get it painted. I saw on one tractor site that this size rake was discontinued in 1923. I don't know if that's true or not. My neighbor told me it was a hillside rake. He based this on the wheels. Rather than smooth like my 8 foot dump rake, this one has wheels like a cultivator. There is a lip on each edge of the band that points out, I suppose to better grip the ground. I plan to make a set of thills, rather than a tongue, so that they can be split to make a tongue or spread to make shaves.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-01-21 19:35:13 (CST)

Great gift! Have a good time with it Jerry.

JerryHicks says 2017-01-23 04:58:37 (CST)

I appreciate all the kind words. I'm planning to get it painted correctly and get the thills back on it and then I'll do my best to get some pictures up. Really looking forward to putting the mules to it and bunching some hay this spring.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.