Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

Has anyone used a tow behind brush hog made for ATVs with their horses? Does it work well? I'm thinking of having something to mow paths and mow off pastures. It seems like it should work to pull behind a forecart, but I haven't seen people doing this, so I wonder if I'm missing something. Thanks!

Billy Foster says 2017-01-16 05:38:14 (CST)

Works great. I have used one for years. It sounds like you just intend on mowing pasture, not brush. I always was cautious not to mow rough ground as to not kick up sticks or rocks.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-01-16 09:08:26 (CST)

Billy, I don't have one, but I have seen my Amish friends use it. They put a sturdy "skirt" in front to avoid having anything flung onto the horses' heels.

Jonathan Shively says 2017-01-16 09:23:57 (CST)

Well, have tried to upload two pictures for you. I regularly mow with my team and to increase my width I pull two mowers. Works well unless the ponies are fresh and the grass tall as they walk fast. Will be mowing hay with them this spring with a Big 4 JD and look forward to their fast walks keeping the mower from clogging and getting the job done. Make sure your pasture is clean of sticks (we mow along the woods and pond so I do that after a good day as they are then to tired to care). I have also added a seat to my forecart for comfort and the ability to see over my ponies.

I currently have the mowers hooked end to end, ponies walking in mown area. Would like to weld or bolt them together so it can be one unit, as I have it, on a turn can get a swath of unmown grass. Feel free to ask any questions.

Amelia says 2017-01-16 12:53:24 (CST)

Thanks! I hadn't thought that much about stuff kicking forward - that would definately limit what I could do. But it sounds like if I put a rubber skirt in front I should be ok cutting thistles and such. I'd like to be able to mulch that stuff down, which a sicklebar doesn't do...
Any thought on engine size? It looks like I could get a 14 hp or a 20 hp....it's a few hundred dollars difference, which I don't mind spending if it will make a difference as I could use this thing for a long time, but I could do something else with that money if it won't make it work better for me!

Jonathan Shively says 2017-01-16 13:43:25 (CST)

I really like the job these two mowers do, but for the money I have invested in them, I would now go with an old bush hog from a tractor, mount a horizontal crankshaft engine on it and connect it. It is what it is.

K.C. Fox says 2017-01-16 22:27:57 (CST)

I mow with a JD Big 4 Deering 7 or 9. I have a 5 ' brush hog but I never though I wanted to pull it with a team scared of throwing something forward into the heels of the team, that wold not be good with 1/2 broke horses or mules.

BrianL says 2017-01-20 08:10:49 (CST)

A brush hog can be handy but the places it shines (i.e. places a sickle bar won't cut it) is also the places where it's more likely to kick stuff up. Maybe it's just me and I know others pull one with a team without incident, but it's just too angry of a machine for me to take a chance using it with my mules. Even with a chain skirt, it can still kick stuff airborne. This all said, I hope anyone using one really has a bomb-proof team!

K.C. Fox says 2017-01-20 22:28:40 (CST)

When I use the brush hog I'm just going to have to start up the 8N and go. Pulling it with a team just scares me really bad, good luck if you pull it with a team.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-01-21 19:32:35 (CST)

I mow pastures only with mine pulled behind my powercart. I don't mow brush . Like everyone says, too much risk for flying debris.

Amelia says 2017-01-22 21:31:56 (CST)

I really appreciate the responses! I think I'm going to get to know my new team better before trying it. I thought about the engine noise, but not so much the kicking stuff up. If the boys seem really solid I may try it next year, with a thick rubber skirt in front of it. You all may have just saved me from a disaster, thanks!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.