[ Post a Response | Close Window | Print ]

Girthy horse
Posted by Lynn at 2007-11-13 13:48:19
Hi Dr Beth,

I have a riding buddy who has a pinto/thoroughbred gelding who is 10 yrs old. He is showing so many of the signs that Cavas shows that I have to ask you what your opinion is. Gus gets no grain, but his owner does give him 3 cups bran, 1/2 cup of Hoffman minerals, 2 cups of flax seeds and 2 tablespoons of molasses.

Gus is very girthy and sore through the neck and is very touchy just being brushed. I rode him for the first time on the weekend and he doesn't want to use his back end and gets almost a mincy step when trotting when asked for impulsion. I am going to encourage her to get Gus on a high fat diet, but what do you think of his symptoms and his present diet?
Response by Beth Valentine, DVM, PhD at 2007-11-13 19:31:26
His current diet is pretty low in starch and sugar, but the flax seeds won't be providing a lot of fat. I agree with you that Gus deserves a 4-6 month trial of a high fat as well as low starch and sugar EPSM type diet. Can't hurt, and just might help, especially with the problems you describe. I'm betting the owner will be pleased with results.

Post a Response:
1) Enter your name and response.
2) Click "Send" to post your response on the Front Porch bulletin board.
3) Your response will be reviewed for appropriateness before being posted for public view.

Name:
Response:

[ Close Window | Print ]

Subscribe Homepage Contact Us
rural heritage logo    PO Box 2067, Cedar Rapids IA 52406-2067
E-Mail: