[ Post a Response | Close Window | Print ]

Shoeing draft horses
Posted by J Smith at 2006-07-26 00:31:32
I would like some information on shoeing draft horses using a tip/tilt table or shoeing stock.
1- best tables or stocks to use
2- method of securing feet while shoeing
Response by Todd NE WY at 2006-07-26 15:48:18
J, I have used both the wooden and steel stocks. I prefer the wooden version. On the steel ones everything is round and the feet tend to slip around more and are harder to secure. The one I have just has a dog collar looking strap on the front and the foot is lifted with a single hobble on a strap then secured. On the rear there is no separate strap, just the hobble, which is secured to a cleat on the rear post.

I would think it would take one heck of a tilt table to turn a draft horse on it side and back up.

Todd
Response by steve w at 2006-07-26 15:53:23
I use Yoder shoeing stocks. You can see pictures here.

When you have the horse in the stocks, ALWAYS secure at LEAST one hind leg, if not both, to the uprights. If they can get their hind legs up under them in the stocks, bad things can happen.
Response by Felt at 2006-07-26 19:36:46
Bought a new Yoder stock last month. Trimmed some unruly drafts in it successfully. Then I tried to trim my favorite 2-year Molly mule. She reared up and found a piece of angle iron with a sharp edge on it as she came down. Cut a 14-inch slash in her breast that was 3 inches deep in some spots. How it made such a vicious cut when it was only 1.5 inch angle iron I do not know, but it was dramatic.

Suprisingly, it bled very little and the mule did not seem to be in much pain. I got her in the stock and trimmed her after the injury and before going to the vet. The sad part was that she didn't need to be restrained for the trimming. Held her feet up pretty as you please.

If you are getting one of these things, grind down the sharp edges. The one that got her was the one that secures the back chain lock.

Kind of like saying, "Don't eat yellow snow" I guess, but if I had done it, it would have saved me a pretty hefty vet bill.
Response by wheat in louisiana at 2006-07-27 09:20:20
Just remember you can still be in the danger zone even with a stock (head in the wrong place at the wrong time). Had a friend who would always have to poke his head in the stock till he got smacked. I would always secure the horse/mule in completely, top, bottom and the ends after this incident. Will not always get the best looking job, but you will get the job done.
Response by Mickey at 2006-07-27 10:54:01
Steve W: Great stocks pictures, and love those Mastiffs! By the way, what size is your stocks -- large or extra-large? Do all those chains and straps come with or did you add anything extra? Does it come assembled or is assembly required? Do you know the price range for Yoder stocks? Thanks :-)
Response by steve w at 2006-07-27 13:44:56
They are the BIGGEST size Yoder makes. I think they were $560, and came with EVERYTHING. I bought it unassembled, because my wife's parents brought it down to Texas from Ohio. They are very easy to assemble. My daughter and I assembled it in about 2 hours.

Steve
Response by Buggy at 2006-07-28 08:30:39
Christ and Amos Yoder make the stocks in three different sizes: an oversize for the truly big boys, regular draft size and then a haflinger/quarter horse size. They fully assemble the stocks as they build them and then knock them down for shipment. They will fit in the back of a pickup. They are heavy, but reassembly is easy if you've got some help. No cutting or fitting, just put bolt A into hole B type of thing. They are not cheap, but they are a good value. They also make a nice sled in two different sizes and some wooden feeders and mangers. As I said, they are heavy so freight can get pricy.
Response by Mary W. at 2006-07-28 20:16:10
Okay, call me naive, but why do you need stocks to shoe a draft horse? Granted, my Percheron is barefoot and I hope to keep him that way, but he gets trimmed and is pretty good about that and just having his feet picked is usually not an issue with him. The more I pick his feet up the better he gets about it. He was a pig about his feet when I first got him, but now understands that it's not a big deal. Am I just lucky?
Response by Perchhauler at 2006-07-29 16:22:59
My Percherons are very easy to deal with while being trimmed. I am having pulling shoes put on the front of my one gelding, and mare, and my farrier wants to do it in stocks simply because of their size. Shoeing requires him to use both hands more than trimming. He trims them all the time in the barn, but he wants stocks to shoe. Steve
Response by Tiff at 2006-07-29 21:56:52
Someone help me out here, Dr. Beth maybe. When laying a horse down to operate on it, isn't there potential problems with blood circulation in the muscle tissue? Seems like using a tilt table would have the potential of similar problems. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Response by fHorsepower at 2006-07-30 16:00:20
Additional information about building and using shoeing stocks can be found in an article at shoeingstock. The article gives a description and dimensions for building a heavy duty wooden shoeing stock.
Response by Muley at 2006-07-30 18:06:33
Tiff, I would be less concerned about circulation (horses lay down in the field) and more concerned about a horse thrashing around and harming itself when tilted over.
Response by Mary W at 2006-08-01 19:06:36
Hey, Steve/Perchhauler - thanks for the clarification; makes me all that more sure that barefoot is the way to go if you can keep their feet in good shape. I've been using KeraFlex to strengthen the hoof (his turnout can get mushy) and I think it's really helped. He had a abscess blow out and as it grew down the hoof we were able to keep it from cracking/splitting and a huge crack in a back hoof is actually looking better, but it takes a long time. Do you know any other ways to keep their feet in good shape? (No hoof, no horse.) Thanks for any feedback.
Response by Perchhauler at 2006-08-02 22:14:20
Hey Mary:), I was trying to stay away from shoes myself, but I log so there is some pretty intense pulling going on. I have been working my team skidding on my parents' place to condition them for a job coming up I'll start in the fall. One crack after another, and I keep them trimmed regularly. I figure they should have front shoes for this job in the fall, and my mare has a crack on her front left, so I'm going to shoe her now because of the crack so I can work her now, and put the gelding's on closer to the job. I'm taking her Monday night; a local vet has a set of stocks I can use to have her shoes put on. I got Anvil pulling shoes for their front. If in the future I have to shoe their hind I'll go with a work plate. I'm going to start using a hoof dressing regularly, and spraying iodine on their feet also helps harden their feet. I've had a lot of trouble with abscesses in the past year, and I take care of their feet, uuugghhh. Steve
Response by Ira at 2006-08-04 05:55:27
If you use old hay or straw for bedding you will have more hoof problems than if you use sawdust or keep them on dirt.
Response by Mary W at 2006-08-04 22:21:43
Hey, Steve - hope the shoeing goes ok and takes care of the hoof cracks. Sounds like you really plan on using your guys to work - all we do is waddle around the trails sometimes when it's not too hot. (Dale gets crazy when I talk abt using a draft just for playtime.) I have a quarter horse too, but he's not nearly as much fun :) I've used a diluted bleach solution to take care of hoof gunk and toughen the soles with pretty good results; you just have to keep on using it until you hit a dry spell, I think.
Response by Perchhauler at 2006-08-05 14:03:55
Hey Ira, yep I do bed with sawdust. Lots of the stuff around here. Steve
Response by Ira at 2006-08-06 09:43:53
Steve, The best idea I ever saw for horses was in an old dairy barn converted for horses. All the old floor had been removed, dug down 2-3 feet, then drain lines were laid down under the stalls, covered by crushed rock and 2B with 12 to 18 inches of sawdust over that. Never did get back to see how well it held up.
Response by Scott Shoemaker at 2007-03-22 23:25:27
I would like to talk to the Yoders about their stocks. How do I reach them?
Response by Carolyn Dice at 2007-06-04 23:16:33
I am interested in looking at a shoeing stock for purchase. Live in Ludington, MI. Where is nearest dealer of the Miller or Yoder Shoeing Stocks?
Response by Dale Wagner at 2007-06-06 09:31:57
They had a tipping table at the Kitteridge ranch for cutting studs and branding. Worked well, I guess, but I was never there when it was used.
Response by kenny england at 2007-10-10 07:25:05
Would like to know how to purchace the Yoder shoeing stock. or (434)547-9343. I have two Belgians around 2000 to 2200 lbs.
Response by Sally Mandell at 2007-10-31 15:59:57
I would also like to know how to purchade the Yoder shoeing stock. I have two Belgians around 2200 to 2400 lbs.
Response by Jim Wallace at 2007-11-06 15:22:34
Here is a phone number for the Yoder Stocks. It is a vioce mail I got when I purchased one of their stocks. 330-893-3102.

While I trim and shoe most of my clients horses without the stocks I do find it much easier to deal with the big ones with less effort. Most drafts are really docile, but when they aren't happy the stocks work great.
Response by Sherry Gray at 2007-11-22 15:10:47
I have a TB/Percheron cross that had great feet while he lived in a dry hot climate. Moved him to irrigated pasture in Central Coast of CA and his feet are a mess. Always barefoot and would like to keep him that way, but he is breaking and cracking like crazy. Only been ten weeks since the move, so maybe it's still too soon????? I want to purchase Keraflex, but can't seem to find it anyhere. Does anyone know where I can purchase it? Still new at this and learning.
Response by John at 2007-11-23 18:09:51
Most of those shoeing stocks are 99% lumber. Find the plans in the old issue of Rural Heritage.
Response by Bud Williams in West Virginia at 2007-12-14 05:43:18
I built a set of stocks in the ground. They work better for me. I have Haflingers. They do really well in the stocks. I found the plans on the Rural Heritage site.
Response by Susan Blalock at 2008-01-01 13:12:28
The product you are looking for is Keratex, not Keraflex.
Response by nancy at 2008-11-14 10:04:21
anyone can ya send a girl the blueprints or measurments on how to build a shoeing stock i got my oak milled and just dont know how high the rest is for feet to be worked on or nothing soo please send me something not the site that showsthe ols 98 pic on the site with the railroad ties and the steal bars i need all wood specs please thanks nancy
Response by Paul Mager at 2010-01-21 07:46:44
I own a horse shoeing table and have used them for about 15 years.Myself and another fellow shoe about 2000 to 3000 head a year.With alot of those being drafts.The injured horses have been extremely few considering the number we do.
Response by yzoldowl at 2010-11-11 09:43:23
Steve W I tried to find your photos on Flickr -- there are just too many photos there and the latest featured set is jumping dirt bikes. (Less than zero interest to yours truly...) DH broke his back this past summer so we are getting a set of stocks from Yoder's next week. I have one saddle mare that's real nasty about her feet, and several Shetland ponies that we just never got around to training. The stocks will enable hubby and me to keep their feet in shape without hurting ourselves.
Response by yzoldowl at 2010-11-11 10:01:30
Mary W., if your horse or mule is well-behaved you do not need a set of stocks. My saddle mare is not exactly well-behaved though! -- Picture of me, grinning -- Muley, if your animal fights a tilt table, simply raise his head and turn it back towards his shoulder. He _cannot_ fight in that position.
Response by J.W. Horn at 2012-07-04 12:30:16
Where can I find a drawing of a workable draft horse stock. I have seen Yoder's pictures but think there should be a good drawing with ledgable numbers that could be modified. One particular thing I can't see how to make the foot rests. I want it to be aportable one as to slide on my trailer to my clients. Can anyone point me in write direction so I don't kill myself. Thanks for looking! 217-871-2955 to tex
Response by Jim Conway at 2012-08-09 07:00:49
I am building a wooden draft horse shoeing Stock. Does anyone know how I would secure the uprights/columns to the deck/floor?

Post a Response:
1) Enter your name and response.
2) Click "Send" to post your response on the Front Porch bulletin board.
3) Your response will be reviewed for appropriateness before being posted for public view.

Name:
Response:

[ Close Window | Print ]

Subscribe Homepage Contact Us
rural heritage logo    PO Box 2067, Cedar Rapids IA 52406-2067
E-Mail: