[ Post a Response | Close Window | Print ]

Haflinger Belgian cross
Posted by Frank Ise at 2010-04-08 08:53:31
Recently saw a picture of a Belgian Haflinger cross team of full brothers, a year apart. Looked like the ideal team of work, not show, horses. Anyone out there had any experience with this combination. Your opinion, please. Thanks.
Response by Emily R. at 2010-04-08 22:06:25
My mare is a 5 year old belgian haflinger cross, and i love her. Working with her is a dream she is amish trained which i think has a little to do with her disposition but she's a perfect size for her jobs that we both need to do. I only have the mare, she doesn't have any buddies. She's full grown and about 15.2 hands she's a fantastic all around horse, i wouldn't trade her for the world. If you need to know anything else more in depth from me please let me know. I would definitely purchase another belgian haflinger cross definitely!
Response by Gene at 2010-04-09 10:04:36
I have a question for you: Does it matter which way you say it? Belgian Haflinger cross or Haflinger Belgian cross or does the way you say indicate which was the mare or Stallion in the union.

Just asking a question so please don't beat me up to bad and above all else have a great week end. Looks like Georgia is going straight to summer weather without a spring.
Response by Frank Ise at 2010-04-09 20:43:19
Gene, I have no idea. Someone tell me. Does crossing a Belgian stallion with a Haflinger mare give the same result as crossing a Haflinger stallion with a Belgian mare? Thanks.
Response by Walkers' Run at 2010-04-10 05:59:40
Not really sure of the correct answer to this, but I would assume you wouldn't want the mare to be the Haflinger since she is smaller and the chances are you could have a Belgian size foal. I generally use the two as approximately the same size or the mare being larger than the stallion. Just a thought......good question though.
Response by Jerry Hicks at 2010-04-10 09:00:41
Just my opinion but I would think that the mare would tend to influence the size of the colts. The halflinger stallion crossed on a belgian mare would tend to get a larger team than the belgian stallion crossed on the halflinger team.
I recall there having been experiments done many years ago where shires and shetland ponys where crossed. The shire stallion crossed on the shetland mare got a short thick pony, only slightly larger than the mare. The shetland stallion crossed on the shire mare got a horse that finished out slightly smaller than the dam. There was also comments on the other traits that were passed both ways,such as the colt from the shire mare having pony type qualities like head shape. Sort of a hybrid vigor without being a true hybrid.
Response by Diane B at 2010-04-11 12:45:59
Exactly Jer. The same mentality goes into breeding draft ponies. If you want to infuse more Percheron blood into your program you don't use your pony stallion on a Percheron mare. The mare dictates the size of the foal, and in those cases the foals all grow too large to be in the Draft Pony catagory. You take a smaller sized Percheron stallion and you cross him back on your Draft Pony mares.

It doesn't matter which way you splice the name. Belgian/Haflinger or Haflinger/Belgian. :)

We had a team of these a few years back. I don't know which way the mating was done. They were not massive in size as was the point in the first place, but definately thick and usable working horses. Around 14.3hh and easily 1200lbs. Used mainly for logging work. Tough little buggers.

Post a Response:
1) Enter your name and response.
2) Click "Send" to post your response on the Front Porch bulletin board.
3) Your response will be reviewed for appropriateness before being posted for public view.

Name:
Response:

[ Close Window | Print ]

Subscribe Homepage Contact Us
rural heritage logo    PO Box 2067, Cedar Rapids IA 52406-2067
E-Mail: