Rock-n-Horse Farm, Arlee Sheets, 1267 Rae Rd, RR2, Almonte ON Canada, K0A 1A0, 613-256-6117, email@example.com, www.rocknhorsefarm.ca. A mixed farm with maple syrup forest.
Mariposa Farm, Ian
Walker, 6468 Highway 174, Plantagenet, ON Canada K0B 1L0, 613-673-5881,
Mariposa farm is a bilingual (French-English) organic farm. We grow
vegetables for our on-farm restaurant. We also raise cows, pigs, ducks,
and geese for the Ottawa restaurant market. We have been working horses
for five years.
- Source of power: 2 horses.
- Horses are used for: logging; discing and cultivating the
gardens; general help around the farm.
- Acreage: 200; 99 in woodlot, 100 tillable—1 in garden,
40 in pasture, 60 in hay.
- Other livestock: cows, pigs, ducks, geese.
- Skills offered in: field work, organic vegetable production,
driving, logging, riding, and carpentry.
- Work hours: 8-10/day, 6 days/wk.
- Terms: room and board furnished; one apprentice at a time
for a minimum of one month, any time of year.
- Stipend: yes.
- Accommodations: second floor of pavilion with nice view of
the farm; home cook meals.
Apprentice must be: hard working, honest,
reliable, non-smoking, happy to share farm chores.
Visit first: if desired.
- Trial Period: 2 weeks.
Orchard Hill Farm, Ken or Martha Lang, 45415 Fruit Ridge Line, RR#5, St. Thomas, ON Canada N5P 3S9, firstname.lastname@example.org, 591-775-2670. Horse powered CSA vegetable operation for 200 families.
- Source of power: 8 draft horses, mostly Suffolk, tractor.
- Horses are used for: all tillage, plowing, discing, cultivating, mowing, tedding and raking hay, cultivating vegetables, hauling vegetables with wagon.
- Draft Animal Experience: 31 years using draft horses.
- Acreage: 93; 5.5 in garden, 11
- Other livestock: 75 laying hens, 3 composting pigs, and one family Jersey cow.
- Skills offered in: Teamster skills, CSA garden planning, planting and harvesting. Greenhouse production for transplants.
- Apprentice expectation: Apprentice will work in all aspects of farm operation.
- Work hours: 6:30-7:15 am, 8 am -noon, 1-6 pm, 6 days per week. (9-10 hours per day, 54-60 hours per week).
- Terms: room & board.
- Number of Apprentices accepted at one time: 4
- Stipend: yes, $2500 for first season, $5000 for 2nd.
- Accommodations: three-bedroom strawbale bunkhouse.
- Meals: Yes. All eat together family style.
- Apprentice must: want to farm and be keen to learn.
- Visit first: yes.
- Trial Period: yes